Saturday, November 6, 2010

Itsy Bitsy Spider....

I was recently reminded of a children’s song I learned a long time ago:
The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout.
Down came the rain, and washed the spider out.
Up came the sun, and dried up all the rain,
and the itsy bitsy spider climbed up the spout again

The question I have is….why is that the end of the rhyme?  I mean, what do you do when the spider then climbs in your window and decides to hang out on the wall?  And what if that itsy bitsy spider is more like 6” (18 cm) long?  Well, I can give you one version of the ending.  :-)  Leslie, the B&B manager when to bed last night and found the “itsy bitsy” spider on her wall.  She called Theresa and me to come help.  After quickly determining that it was a tarantula (YUCK!!!!), we were very cautious about getting too close as apparently they can jump a good ways.  Leslie loves animals (in contrast to Theresa and me who wanted to kill it) and wanted to knock it into a box and let it go outside.  So I donated a box and Leslie got a roll of wrapping paper so she could knock the spider off the wall, into the box, close the lid and take it outside.  I personally elected for guard duty…I was at the door ready to shut Theresa and Leslie in with the spider while I retreated to my bedroom.  I know…no guts, no glory.  :-)  To make a long story short, after about 5-10 mins of strategizing, trying to manipulate the spider w/ the paper roll and Doom (an insecticide…which by the way, seemed to have little effect on the tarantula), we got him in the box, took the box outside and put weights on it and around it so it wouldn’t blow over (we were all too scared to let him go at that point).  He’s still in the box as Theresa and Leslie are out and I don’t want to open the box if no one is here to call “911”.  And to think I was concerned about the ants…

That was the really exciting part of my week, the rest has been more routine (thank goodness!).  I am praising God for the 5 women He brought to Intro this week that had never been to BSF before.  They all signed up to come to class.  The bad part was we only had 4 spaces in our class (all our DGs are at 16).  But as the Lord would have it, we had  1 inactivation that hadn’t been processed yet and so in His providence, we had exactly 5 spaces available.  So why do I worry about things?  He knows better than I do what I need and He’s already taken good care of it.

I got to try a new restaurant this week…called Seattle Coffee Co…no relation to Seattle Expresso from what I can tell.  We had fish and chips…where the fish was Hake…a popular fish here.  It was pretty good .  They don’t have Heinz ketchup here but what they do have is pretty close, so it was worth putting it on the chips.  I liked the fish…it didn’t have a “fishy” taste to it.  It was the 3rd or 4th time I’ve been to a restaurant where they didn’t have Coke Lite (i.e. Diet Coke…Pepsi isn’t very popular in restaurants but they do carry it in the grocery stores).  Not as many people here drink Coke Lite as do in the States…I think they worry more about the chemicals in it.  I’ve seen several commercials on TV advertising products as “natural”, “unprocessed”, no “preservatives”, etc. 

Last night was some Indian holiday (I’m not sure what).  It’s somewhat equivalent to our July 4th so there were a lot of fireworks going off after dark and there was a house across the street where some guy was singing (off key, very loudly) until after 11:30.  I realize sometimes we don’t like our homeowners associations because they seem to restrictive, but after last night, it makes me appreciate an effective one.  I guess since it was Friday night, we didn’t need to sleep.  :-)

This week has been filled with storms.  Yesterday, it started out as a beautiful day, started to cloud up, a bad storm came and it rained hard and horizontal for about 30 mins.  The clouds blew off, the sun came out and it was a nice day again.  About 2 hours later, clouds blew in, the rains came.  Needless to say, I’m not in Phoenix anymore.  The upside is that I’ve seen several rainbows (we could see the full half-circle) and a double rainbow.  I took some pics but I’m not sure if they came out so that you can see.  So I’ve had to take some breaks in my prep to go check out the weather…it definitely has been exciting!

That’s all for now.  Have a great weekend!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment