Saturday, January 29, 2011

Random Thoughts….


Sorry I haven’t updated in a while…it has been a busy couple of weeks.  It continues to rain here…every day.  We also have periods of sunshine…but it never seems to last too long.  Fortunately, it means that the temperatures are cooler than normal…mostly in the 70s during the day.  It’s many degrees cooler than what it should be, so I’m very thankful.

I have a few more interesting food stories.  I was asked if I wanted to eat leeches.  You can imagine what my face looked like.  But then Theresa showed me what they were.  Litchis…oh, that’s different.  They originated in China but are grown here in South Africa…I don’t believe they export it to the U.S.  It is a fruit w/ a red, soft shell…about the size of a grape or cherry.  After you peel the shell, the flesh inside is like that of a grape with a pit like a cherry.  It is sweet and juicy…but with a unique taste.

I was also introduced to a bowtie.  Not like the Stan Laurel type….with polka-dots and looking kinda funny.  Here a bowtie is a desert….dough, twisted together and fried.  Then it is drizzled with honey or syrup.  It’s quite crunchy but not too sweet but  I can’t eat more than 1.  Very tasty, though!!!!

We’ve added 2 new leaders to our leaders circle in the last week.  We also had 46 at the Seminar Personal Evaluation.  The Seminar attendance might have been more of a function of the buckets of rain that started to fall right as many were getting ready to leave.  But regardless, I was thrilled with both the new leaders and the Seminar attendance.  I’m excited at what God is doing in our class and how the C/Ms are blessed by studying Isaiah.  It’s been a tough road…this poetry is hard to understand sometimes.  But there has been much reward as well…especially this week in Is 40.  The view of God Isaiah paints is fantabulous…to borrow a made-up word.

While here, I have been noticing many different types of birds.  I never seem to have my camera with me when I see the prettiest ones.  But today I actually had my camera with me when I saw a blue colored crane in an open field.  While I was watching and taking pictures, I could tell he/she was stalking some prey.  While I was still standing there, he grabbed a mouse, rat or frog (I couldn’t tell which) and swallowed it in two bites.  There have been other birds…iridescent blue, some with long tails like a rat, some have a bright yellow bottom, some with red heads and underbellies.  The other night I went walking right at dusk after a hard rain and the flying ants were spewing out of the ground like a volcano.  Near the river, I saw an animal on the ground going after the flying ants that had fallen to the ground.  There were 2 of them…and they let us get within about 15 feet.  It was two spotted owls.  It was hard to see but their heads do swivel all the way around!!!!  They were hopping around on the ground, feasting a the all-you-can-eat buffet of bugs.  Did I have my camera?  Of course not.  Hopefully before I leave I’ll be able to catch a picture of each one.  They’re so colorful and interesting…especially after being in AZ where there are pigeons/doves and little wrens…and that’s it (at least around my house).

I met an American here at the B&B this week…he’s from Rhode Island and is here for a week lecturing at the International School.  We had a rather long talk about religions (he grew up Jewish and now is nothing….but interested in everything).  But we talked about truth, what the Bible says about salvation, whether or not we’re all gods walking around or if there’s only 1.  I told him I was here teaching the book of Isaiah and he said he was interested in ready it.  I think I might point him to Isaiah 40.  I think that pretty much settles it.  We’ll see what happens…he’s here until Friday or so.

That’s all for now…please keep praying for our class and that God raises up the needed staff before the end of the year so they can be trained and ready to go.  And that we have all the leaders to start strong next year.  Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment