Sunday, September 12, 2010

Cindy 6, Scorpions 0

And I'm hoping to keep a shutout going.  I'm up to 6 scorpions found alive but then killed in my apartment.  I think I mentioned that the first one really freaked me out.  Fortunately, I've only found them in the hallway, guest bathroom and living room.  I think I'd be even more freaked out if it was in my bedroom.  But I'm learning new habits...like not walking around in the dark in case there's a critter on the floor.  I don't enter a room without turning on a light.  I have a particular black sandal sandal that has become my weapon of choice.  It has a flexible sole but an oh-so-deadly heel.  When I went to Uganda with Gretchen, she had Liz Claiborne pink slippers that were sure-fire.  But, lacking Liz slippers, my sandal is doing a great job.  The last scorpion, however, was about the scariest.  I grabbed one of my notebooks to study, sat down in a chair and opened it up.  There, smack in the middle of the first page, was a nasty little critter.  I think I actually jumped.  I carefully got back up, carried my notebook to the kitchen floor and got my black sandal (old "blood and guts" since that's what's left after she's done) and did the deed. 

Now in contrast to these nasty critters, there have been some welcomed ones.  I saw some deer next to the BSF road tonight as I was leaving the campus. They've shown themselves several times.  There's also a flock of wild turkeys hanging out on the grounds that I see periodically. I was talking with the cook Terry a few weeks ago and he mentioned that the flock of 11 might be down to 10 or 9 around late Nov.  I don't even want to know!!!!  :-)

I'm basically in my last week of work as Orientation starts on Sat.  It will last for a week, and then I'll leave on the following Monday.  I'm starting to feel the pressure to get things wrapped up, taken care of and left in a state where they can be easily maintained for the next 2 months.  I got my flu shot on Sat and need to make an appt to get antibiotics for my trip....Dr. Chuck recommended Cipro and a Z-pack (in addition to the anti-malarials).  I'll try to get that appointment scheduled this week with a travel clinic.  I don't have my health care card yet (not sure why it's taken a while but it prevents me from seeing a doctor). And I'm still waiting for my "real" TX drivers license....I'm still carrying around that impressive 8.5 x 11 black and white sheet of paper.  I've had to show it a few times...I sure am embarrassed that I have a "Monopoly" drivers license.  Oh well.

I'll try and write more later...work has gotten busy and there hasn't been much time to update the blog. I'll be off the air from Sat thru the following Fri so I'll be silent for a while...but I'll try and get an update out before Fri.

Love to you all and my heart is with you tomorrow night.  I wish I could be there too!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear "ole blood and guts" is serving you well! Rejoicing the Lord has given you a trusty weapon and I am encouraged by His Word and want to share it with you:

    Ezekiel 2:6 NIV
    Do not be afraid, though briers and thorns are all around you and you live among scorpions.

    Luke 10:17-20 NIV
    17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name."

    18 He replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19 I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. 20 However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

    Praying for you and thanking the Lord you are with us in heart tomorrow night...you will be missed. For HIS GLORY for Worthy is the Lamb that was slain!

    ReplyDelete