Sunday, September 5, 2010

Why Isaiah 6:8?

So you might be wondering (or not) why I chose Isaiah 6:8 as part of my blog address.  Several years ago...maybe at a BSF retreat, I realized the pattern of service that is set forth in this chapter.  Isaiah sees God, recognizes how great a sinner he is, receives from God the atonement, cleansing and salvation that only God could provide.  What was Isaiah's response?  Was it to say "thanks so much, now I'm going to live my life the way I want?"  No!  I think understanding how grievous my sin is in God's sight is the first criteria for Christian service.  It's only as I recognize what a priceless gift He has given me, how much He loved me in order to save me....that my service becomes something I get to do, not something I have to do.  When I was younger, I thought God owed me for the service I rendered to Him...that He was in my debt for giving Him MY time, MY money, MY talents.

But then I came across Luke 17:7-10 and I realized that whenever I had served the Lord, in whatever capacity or in whatever way, it wasn't that the Lord "owed" me anything.  What does v10 say?  So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, "We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty."  So all of my service, whatever I sacrifice, no matter how much time or money I give, I still only say, I am an unworthy servant...I have only done the <little> that was expected...especially after Jesus Christ came to live a perfect life and then lay it down so that He might save me.  Do I have to serve Him?  No, but I GET to serve Him.  He gives me that great privilege and blessing.  Think about it....the President, Mayor, town council, Pastor.....other great men and women that you would be privileged to hang out with if you could....wouldn't you love to serve them?  You don't get that opportunity now with great men and women, but you have that access, that privilege with God.

When Isaiah volunteered and said "Here am I, send me!" he didn't first ask about his assignment.  He didn't ask if he would be successful by the world's standards.  He didn't even ask if it was hard or where he would go.  After the Lord had cleansed Him for sin, he wanted to do whatever the Lord would ask Him to do.  It didn't matter the cost.  That's a good thing too...because he quickly found out that he wouldn't have success in ministry, that he would walk around for 3 years stripped and barefoot (in Ch 20), and later (if Jewish tradition is correct) be sawn in two by the king.  But after He saw the Lord Jesus Christ, high and exalted, after He was cleansed from sin, none of that mattered.  He only wanted to serve....in whatever the Lord asked Him to do.  He put no criteria, conditions or limits on his service.  Whatever, whenever, wherever the Lord called Him to serve, He would go.

So I picked this passage because I can only hope that I would be willing to do the same.  That I would be willing to do whatever the Lord asks, wherever He calls me to serve, whenever He asks me to do it.  May I not withhold anything from Him who has given me EVERYTHING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment